Wednesday, March 24, 2010

work updates

So, you all know about my American Express project ending in February. For a while I was in limbo, not knowing what was going to happen to me. The options were one of the following: 1. I would be laid off and get severance pay, 2. maintain my position but move to a different account, or 3. be given a different but same level position within the company. Options 2 or 3 would mean I would retain the same basic salary but would no longer get the regular incentives that equal about a third of my monthly salary. I was hoping that I would be laid off instead, get a few thousand dollars in severance and then find another job.

Well, as you all know, the company retained me and moved me to USPS (US Postal Service). I went through 2 weeks of training in the PM and also shadowed other PM managers, especially the email manager named Joyce, so I could learn the ropes. During those two weeks I didn't really know what particular area of USPS I would be handling and who would be on my team. I kind of had some idea that it might be half of the Email team, just because of my schedule which happens to coincide with theirs. There are also too many of them under only one manager (Joyce) so we could easily divide them up. Again, I didn't know for sure but both Joyce and I thought that it would be the case.

Thursday, Friday, and Monday I was Out of Office because of our Vegas vacation.
Oh boy!! Did I miss a lot of excitement at work while I was gone!

I came back to work today wondering why people were acting weird towards me. It only took about 5 minutes to find out. One of the email employees approached me and said she would be on my team. I said good to know. I asked her who else would be on my team. She said all of the email team. I asked her what team Joyce would be handling. She was shocked that I didn't know. I said I was away on vacation. I prodded her to tell me. Apparently the big bosses pulled them all into a meeting on Friday while I was gone and told them all that Joyce was gonna be laid off and that I would now be their manager. They were apparently misinformed as well that I knew what was going on. Understandably, the employees were devastated and couldn't understand why it couldn't have been I(who knew nothing about their project) who was laid off. They have grown attached to Joyce as she had been their manager for about 2 yrs. It will be interesting and challenging to earn their loyalty and respect. I am so glad to hear from my bosses' accounts, though, that amidst all the grumblings during this meeting, one of my former agents from American Express who is a new email team member himself stood up for me and let the others know that I am a top notch leader and that they would like me too if they would give me a chance. I was touched that he would do that.

I felt so bad about Joyce. I feel awful that in order for me to keep my job, someone had to lose theirs. There are actually a few more managers from other projects who are getting laid off. They did a stack ranking of all the managers and would let go of the bottom performers. While I am glad to know that I stacked well against everyone, I feel awful about taking their job when I would be happy to be laid off myself.

Joyce seems to be taking it well. She said she was relieved to not be under such pressure that she had been. She will continue to get me up to speed the next 2 weeks to transition me into taking her role.

So much drama...so many challenges. I will survive, though. And I will prevail :)

No comments:

Post a Comment