Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sammy-isms - my funny child :)


















Updated April 23, 2009

  • Sammy is finally completely potty trained!!! I was complimenting him the other day for another successful bathroom episode, telling him what a big boy he was and that I was so proud of him. He beamed, "I know, I just want to be a good boy. I'm tired of being punished!"

  • Last month while driving to Las Vegas, Sammy dozed off for at least an hour. When he woke up, JT asked him, "Sammy, did u fall asleep?". "No, I wasn't sleeping. It was just a really long blink!" --- See how quick he is?
Added on Mar 18, 09:

  • Jon was fixing dinner for Sammy one evening. Sammy must have been really hungry because he kept asking if his dinner was ready yet. When Jon said not yet, Sammy asked, "What am I paying you for?"

  • Last week, while we were having lunch, I told Sammy to only take one sip of his chocolate shake and then take 3 bites of his food. He tried to negotiate, back and forth...he wanted just 1 bite. I insisted on 3 bites. He finally finished the 3 bites, after which he asked, "There, are you happy now?"

Added on Feb 1st, 09:

  • A few weeks ago on our way to Grandma's house, we had discussions about families; dads, moms, brothers, etc. We asked Sammy who Daddy's dad and mom were. He said nobody, dad's are big so they don't have dads and moms. We told him Daddy's dad and mom were grandpa and grandma. He said no way. So I asked him, "so why did grandma become your grandma then?". "Because she's old!". Later we told grandma the story. While we were laughing, Sammy came in. I told him, "You need to say sorry to grandma." 'Why?" "Because you called her old." Sammy looked at grandma with incredulity and said, "But she is!" (you can almost hear the "Duh" in his tone...Sorry Grandma!) :)

  • Potty training Sammy is still a struggle. We have tried many things short of tying him into the toilet. I tried incentives, a new toy that he loves, if he goes a whole day without an accident. After about the 4th accident and I told him that at the rate he was going he wouldn't get his present, this was what he had to say," That's ok, i have plenty of toys, if I get any more, we won't have a place to put it, then our house will get so full, then we'll have to move, but i like this house, i don't want to move, so I just won't use the toilet."Jon's technique is the punishment...no TV or game the rest of the day. One morning Sammy came to Jon and said, "I went stinky bum, but it's okay, you can punish me now, I'm already done watching my show and playing my game!"

Added on Dec 12, 08.

  • Sammy wants to grow up so badly that he had been saying he was 4 and then 5 long before he turned 4 years old. 2 weeks ago, before his 4th bday we were having dinner. After just a few bites he stopped eating and said that he was too full and he's sick of it. I asked him how old he was and he said he was 5. I said, "then just take 5 more bites and you are done". Without missing a beat he said, "Actually, I'm 3."

  • Sammy got in trouble with the family when he forced 2 games into the wii console, resulting in it's breakage. He cried and cried, wanting to continue playing Smash Bros game and we kept telling him he couldn't because he broke it. He cried, "You guys never let me do anything. That means I am not your son!", then turning to JT, "And I am not your brother anymore!"

  • These days when Sammy wants to play with JT he says, "can we have a date?"
    He also likes sleeping with JT these days. He asks his brother, "can I have a sleepover in your room?"

  • A few days before thanksgiving, Sammy came up to me and said, "I wish I had a pig." Why? "Because I need a pet." Ok, couldn't you have a different animal as a pet instead of a pig? "Maybe a kitty or a dog". But remember, Daddy is allergic to cats and dog, why don't we just get a fish, we can get a tank and you can feed it.. "Nah, I think I'll just have a pet chair!" On Thanksgiving I was telling this story to jon's family and they were laughing. Holli, my sister-in-law, asked Sammy where his pet chair was. Sammy said, "it's at the pet store."

  • Our ward had a primary presentation in November and Sammy was given a couple of lines to say. He went up to say his part and there was a teacher to help him out. He stood there but didn't say anything. The teacher started to help him by saying the first couple of words. The next thing we heard over the microphone was Sammy saying, "I know, that's my part," but he still didn't say the part. The teacher started to help again, and Sammy just kept saying ,"yes, i know, that's my part." Finally the teacher just said his part for him. He did make many people laugh with the funny faces and hand gestures that he was making all throughout the singing, esp during "Called to Serve" when he was very much in sync.

  • Sammy was coughing quite a bit the other day. He told us he wanted to go to the doctor because he was sick. Jon convinced Sammy to take some cough medicine instead. He said, "yeah, I love medicine!" One sip of the concoction later, "I don't like medicine, I'm all better now". "But you are still coughing...finish it so that you won't cough anymore." It's okay, I like coughing!"

  • We were going out shopping or something. I asked JT on our way out if he brushed his teeth. He said yes. Then Sammy looked alarmed and cried out, "On no, I didn't brush my teeth! My teeth are not clean!" - Ok, let's go brush your teeth first. He smiled and said, "No, I like dirty teeth!"

  • Sammy wanted to play ball with JT. JT threw the ball far and said, "Fetch". Sammy ran and got the ball and when he came back he angrily yelled at JT, "I AM NOT A DOG!"

  • We sometimes would go to a fast food play-place when Sammy wants to play with a new friend. On one such occasion, he was playing with a new-found friend, Nathan, while I was chatting with Nathan's mom. After a few minutes, Sammy came to me crying and telling Nathan, "I don't want to be your friend anymore!" He then turned to me and said, "Mommy, you kill him!"

  • It's a challenge when your kids are 9 years apart. While JT has been exemplary as an older brother, there would be times when he wouldn't play with Sammy because he wants to do his own thing. One such time was when the four of us went to the park and there were no other kids around. JT got tired of playing with Sammy and decided to just lay on the blanket with us, despite Sammy's pleading for more. Finally Sammy said, "I really need some friends."

  • One day my friend Bing asked Sammy if he wants to have a baby sister. He said, "No, I have to wait". "Why, where is your baby sister?" (She's probably thinking he would answer something like she's in heaven, or with heavenly father, or what not)---- "It's in JT's tummy."


  • Sammy, at 3. He was being potty trained but it wasn't sinking in yet. We would always get frustrated when he would make a mess on his diaper. One day he did a particularly messy number 2 (poop). He removed his soiled diaper, dropped that on the floor, then he tried to do a cover-up by dumping clean diapers over all the doodoos. (yes, can you believe that? politician na at age 3...) as if the stink would also be effectively hidden as a result, noh? Then he sat on the toilet coz "that's what big boys do". Since he was all done on the diaper, the only result of him sitting on the toilet was that the stinky stuff got all over the toilet seat (GROSS, YUCK, UHHH) ...needless to say I was angry . I told him..."remember to go to the bathroom BEFORE you go poopy, not when it's too late!" JT seconded me saying "yeah..BEFORE!!", and Jon just stood there shaking his head. All this time, Sammy was just staring at us expressionless. A couple of minutes later, while I was doing the cleanup, we heard him sobbing. JT found him first, huddled in a corner. JT hugged him and asked, "What's the matter?". He cried, "I just want my family to be nice to me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment